Thursday 22 May 2014

Making Sense of Therapy

Looks better in Brown & Gold
I've been to a few of David Butler and Lorimer Moseley's talks. Whilst I am by no means a hardened disciple, I think their core message is solid. If you truly understand the nature of what it is that is causing you pain, then you have a better chance at beating it. David's latest blog discussed an article compared the results of traditional therapy for whiplash, and a brief educational intervention. There was no difference between the results. Whilst he is not discounting the usefulness of traditional hands on treatment, he is questioning the importance we place on it.

NOI Group

From a sports medicine perspective, if I think of the athletes who have recovered from something as simple as a thumb collateral ligament tear; those who sat down, and actively listened to me as I reviewed basic anatomy, healing rates, etc have been less likely to have ongoing problems. Now that opinion has no basis other than a very quick chart review of the first 8 footballers that came to mind, but there has to be merit in making a priority of giving the patient the tools to take ownership of their condition.

I'll stop there, spend your time reading David's article.  David Butler, Time for Motor Freedom

Look after those fingers,

Hamish

No comments:

Post a Comment